Songs from an Unmade Bed is a theatrical song cycle for one performer and three musicians that explores the romantic life of a gay man living in the city. One lyricist and eighteen composers (one per song) combined to create a unique theatrical event that is funny, poignant and ultimately hopeful about love.
Debra Barsha – Mark Bennett – Peter Foley – Jenny Giering – Peter Golub – Jake Heggie – Lance Horne – Stephen Hoffman – Gihieh Lee – Steven Lutvak – Steve Marzullo – Brendan Milburn – Chris Miller – Greg Pliska – Duncan Sheik – Kim D. Sherman – Jeffrey Stock – Joseph Thalken
New York Theatre Workshop, 2005
- Nautilus Theatre, Minneapolis, MN 2006
- New Works Collective and Know Theatres, Cincinnati, OH, 2007
- Celebration Theatre, Los Angeles, 2009
- Orlando Shakespeare Theatre, Orlando, FL, 2009
- Ringwald Theater, Ferndale, MI, 2009
- Theatre Three, Inc., Dallas, TX, 2010
- Provincetown Counter Productions. Provincetown, MA, 2010
- Judith Wright Centre for Performing Arts, Sunnybank Hills, Queensland, 2011
- Empire Theatre, Toowomba, Queensland, Australia, 2011
- Columbia College, Chicago, IL, 2011
- Gaslight Theater, St. Louis, 2011
- Teatro del Hotel NH, Mexico City, 2012
- The Little Musical Theatre Company, Washington, D.C. 2013
- Adelaide Cabaret Festival, Adelaide, South Australia, 2013
- Pride Films and Plays, Chicago, IL 2014
- New Helvetia Theatre, Sacramento, CA 2014
- Shenandoah University, Winchester, VA 2015
- Subculture, New York City 2015
- Gatherwool Theater, White River Junction, VT, 2016
- The Orlando Fringe Festival, Orlando FL, 2016
- Compulsion Dance & Theatre, San Diego, CA, 2017
Funny, light, sardonic, [Songs] depicts a familiar kind of New York gay life that’s seldom celebrated in this manner. There’s no big political agenda here, no coming-out statement or demand for equal time: just amusing observation with an understated acuity that gives this entertaining evening a little extra punch.
—The New York Times
Songs From an Unmade Bed might be one of the best hours not spent in bed. Mark Campbell’s lean style, sly point of view and overall sensibility are entirely his own.
Comical and moving…An amusing and entirely unsentimental tableau of single life in the city…Campbell’s lyrics are witty, imaginative and at times seemingly very personal.
Songs From an Unmade Bed is really meant to be experienced. Though not sweeping and epic as some musicals or rugged and stuffy as some recitals, it is touching and delicate and that is something you don’t see everyday.
—EDGE, Los Angeles
|Purchase the CD||Purchase the Piano/vocal Score|
To inquire about the rights to perform Songs from an Unmade Bed, please fill out a quote request here.